Fromage Blanc Starter Instructions
You will need:
stainless steel pot with lid (no aluminum)
butter muslin, tight-weave dish towel, or yogurt bag
raw or pasteurized milk (avoid ultra-pasteurized or UHT)
1 packet Fromage Blanc starter culture (store remaining packets in freezer for future use)
1) Slowly heat (on low) 1-4 quarts of milk to 86 degrees F. (heat the milk no faster than 1 degree per minute- this can take 30-40 minutes for a gallon). Remove from heat.
2) Add one packet of Fromage Blanc starter and mix thoroughly for 15 seconds (no longer).
3) Cover pot with lid and allow to culture in a warm spot, 72 to 77 degrees F., for 12 hours.
4) The Fromage Blanc should be set after 12 hours. There may be some separation of the whey-this is normal. Place the colander in a bowl & line the colander with a double layer of butter muslin or dish towel. Spoon the cheese curds into the colander, gather up the corners of the cloth, and tie them together to make a bag (a yogurt bag can also be used).
5) Hang the Fromage Blanc-filled bag over a bowl to drain the whey for 6-12 hours (the whey can be reserved for other uses).
6) Store your finished Fromage Blanc in a closed container in the refrigerator for about a week. If freezing, remove as much whey as possible and salt well first.
Now it’s time to Get Fermented!
Download instructions here.