- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sourdough starter, fed and active, any variety is fine
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white rye flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast or instant yeast
- 4 teaspoons King Arthur Whole-Grain Bread Improver
- To make the starter: Combine the milk, yeast, and flour. The mixture will be thick. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm (at least 70°F) place for three days, stirring occasionally. The mixture will thin out slightly.
- To make the bread: Place all the ingredients into your bread machine bucket in the order recommended by the manufacturer; this recipe is appropriate for 1 1/2-pound to 2-pound machine. Program for basic or white bread, and press start.
- Check the dough about 10 minutes before the end of the final kneading cycle; it should be soft and smooth. Adjust the consistency with additional flour or water, as needed.
- When the machine completes its cycle, remove the baked bread, and cool it on a rack.
- Store bread in a plastic bag for 3 days on the counter; or freeze for up to 3 months.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh