This recipe yields about 1 quart of rhubarb pickles. Fermentation time will be approximately 2 weeks.
- 5 slender stalks (about 1 inch wide) of rhubarb, leaves removed, chopped into 1-inch pieces (the leaves are toxic, don’t use them)
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3-4 garlic cloves (or to taste)
- Room temperature brine (1 Tbsp. of sea salt mixed into 2 c. water until dissolved)
- Place all ingredients except brine into a 1 quart jar.
- Pour brine into jar, ensuring that there is enough liquid to submerge your ingredients.
- A weight or airlock can be used to keep rhubarb submerged and air out).
- Cover and let sit at room temperature for 2 weeks or until desired acidity is achieved