- 1 cup gluten-free sourdough starter (active and bubbly)
- 2 cups gluten-free multi-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups warm water
- seeds or topping seasonings (optional)
- Place the starter into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, xanthan gum, sugar, and salt; add to the starter. Use an electric mixer (hand or stand) to mix on low speed until just combined.
- Add the olive oil, egg, and water, and beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes. The batter will have a thick, paste-like consistency.
- Allow the dough to rest for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until puffy. The rise won't be dramatic.
- Preheat your oven to 500°F. Stir the dough to deflate it. Brush three pieces of parchment paper with olive oil, and set them on three baking sheets.
- Using a jumbo cookie scoop (2-tablespoon capacity), portion dough onto the paper and, with oiled hands or pastry roller, flatten it into a 4" to 5" round. Sprinkle with seeds or topping seasonings if desired. Repeat with the remaining dough; you should be able to get about 6 rounds onto each baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet(s) into the oven, or transfer the parchment directly to a preheated pizza stone. Bake for 5 minutes; for crispier breads, bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Cool on a rack; or serve warm from the oven.
- Yield: 18 flatbreads.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh