- 4 cups finished water kefir (grains removed)
- 3 slices each: orange, lemon, lime (well washed)
- Combine ingredients in a jar with an airtight lid.
- Let sit at room temperature for 2 days.
- After 2 days, remove citrus slices and refrigerate (note: citrus peel can add a bitter flavor if left in the water kefir for too long- fruit can also be peeled to avoid this). It will keep for quite awhile, but will taste best when consumed within a couple of weeks.
*Caution - when doing a second fermentation, contents can sometimes become a bit explosive. If it's excessively warm, or if there isn't enough headspace, your jar can blow its top. Monitor the lid- if it starts to bulge a bit, open & close the lid to burp the excess gases. A kitchen towel draped over the top can be added insurance in case of an eruption.