- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 cups "fed" sourdough starter (active and bubbly, any variety is fine)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- Combine all the ingredients and mix and knead — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth dough; about 15 to 20 minutes by hand, 7 to 10 minutes in a mixer, and 20 to 30 minutes in a bread machine.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and let it rise for 45 to 60 minutes, until puffy but not necessarily doubled in bulk.
- Lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- On a lightly greased work surface, gently deflate the dough, and form it into a 9" log. Place the log in the prepared pan, cover, and let it rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until it crests about 1" over the rim of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the bread for 40 to 50 minutes, until it's light gold and a digital thermometer inserted into the center reads 190°F.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and after a couple of minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Store, well-wrapped, at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh