- saucepan for heating milk
- yogurt thermometer
- wooden or plastic spoon
- yogurt maker
- 1 packet Vegan yogurt starter (save the other packets in freezer for future use)
- 1 to 2 quarts alternative milk (soy or rice work best)
Note: to get a thicker yogurt when using coconut, rice or almond milk, you can add a carbohydrate source (sugar) & a thickener (agar agar, pectin or gelatin). Directions:
1) Stirring frequently, heat milk to 110 degrees (clip yogurt thermometer to side of pan to monitor temperature). Pour milk into yogurt maker insert. Add starter packet and mix well.
2) Cover and culture in yogurt maker for 6-8 hours. Once set (or after 8 hours), let cool for about an hour and then refrigerate for 6 hours. Yogurt may not appear to have thickened. Try stirring before refrigeration and again after a couple of hours. May take up to 24 hours of refrigeration to firm up. After refrigeration, separation may occur. Just stir the yogurt to blend. Your yogurt is now ready to enjoy as is, flavored with fruit and/or honey, or added to smoothies.
Now it's time to Get Fermented!