Villi, Filmjolk, Matsoni and Piima Yogurts come with 2 packets.
You will need:
- one quart canning jar or other glass jar
- coffee filter or paper towel to cover jar, and elastic
- band to secure cover
- wooden or plastic spoon
- 2 cups milk (avoid ultra- pasteurized or UHT milk)
- 1 packet Yogurt starter culture (save 2nd packet in freezer for future use)
Activate your starter culture:
- Put 2 cups milk in your jar. Add starter packet and stir until well dissolved. Cover with coffee filter & secure with elastic band.
- Allow to culture at room temperature - 68° to 78° F. is ideal. Choose a draft-free spot, out of direct sunlight, where it won't be disturbed. Check after 12 hours to see if it has set (when set, it will be slightly gelatinous and will pull away from the side of jar when it's tipped). If not set, allow to culture for up to another 36 hours, checking every few hours. When set, refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Your yogurt is now ready to enjoy. Make sure to save some for your next batch.
Making the next batch:
- Put 3 cups milk in ajar. Add 1/4 cup of your finished yogurt ( always reserve some back for your next batch) and mix well. To make larger batches, use the same ratio: 1/4 cup finished yogurt per 3 to 4 cups milk.
- Allow to culture for 12 to 18 hours (faster than when activating starter). Check every few hours until set. Larger amounts will take longer to set. When set, refrigerate for 6 hours.
Your cultured yogurt can now be eaten as is, :flavored with fruit and/or honey, or added to smoothies. Remember to keep saving some back for your future batches.