You will need:
- stainless steel pot with lid (no aluminum)
- non-aluminum spoon
- butter muslin, tight-weave dish towel, or yogurt bag
- raw or pasteurized milk (avoid ultra-pasteurized or UHT)
- 1 packet Fromage Blanc starter culture (store remaining packets in freezer for future use)
- non-iodized salt
- Slowly heat (on low) 1-4 quarts of milk to 86° F. (heat the milk no faster than 1 degree per minute- this can take 30-40 minutes for a gallon). Remove from heat.
- Add one packet of Fromage Blanc starter and mix thoroughly for 15 seconds (no longer).
- Cover pot with lid and allow to culture in a warm spot, 72-77° F., for 12 hours.
- The Fromage Blanc should be set after 12 hours. There may be some separation of the whey-this is normal. Place the colander in a bowl & line the colander with a double layer of butter muslin or dish towel. Spoon the cheese curds into the colander, gather up the comers of the cloth, and tie them together to make a bag (a yogurt bag can also be used).
- Hang the Fromage Blanc-filled bag over a bowl to drain the whey for 6-12 hours (the whey can be reserved for other uses).
- Store your finished Fromage Blanc in a closed container in the refrigerator for about a week. If freezing, remove as much whey as possible and salt well first.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh