You will need:
- stainless steel pot with lid (no aluminum)
- non-aluminum spoon
- 1 quart raw or pasteurized cream or half & half (avoid ultra-pasteurized or UHT)
- 1 packet Creme Fraiche starter culture (store remaining packets in freezer for future use)
- Heat 1 quart of cream or half & half to 86° F.
- Add 1 packet Creme Fraiche starter and mix thoroughly for 15 seconds (no longer).
- Cover pot with lid and allow to culture in a warm spot, 72-77° F., for 12 hours.
- The Creme Fraiche should be set after 12 hours. Store in a closed container for about a week.